It is called Fort Worth Dish Out, but I call it church

About a year ago I was fortunate to be a part of the first ever Fort Worth Dish Out (website, facebook, twitter). It was crazy fun to be associated with such an event and I am blown away at where the board is taking it these days. Frankly, it is a  source of great personal pride. 

For those who do not know what the Fort Worth Dish Out is, it works like this:
  1. Everyone puts in $20 to get access, a meal, booze, fellowship and the ability to hear about 3 local non-profits.
  2. Everyone hears the non-profits speak for 5-7 minutes to tell what they do.
  3. Everyone votes on the non-profit they would like to support.
  4. The winner of the vote gets 60% of the funds, the other two split the remaining 40%.
We can talk about this as an event or a function or a fundraiser or even as a non-profit in its own right. 

But I call it an expression of Church I want to be apart of. 

When we gather for a common cause, break bread, learn, share, have fun, fellowship, encounter new people and new ideas, give, grow and support those around us - I call that Church.

So for those of us who want the Church to continue into the future and ensure that it remains relevant, I would submit that we look at the essence of what is done on a Sunday morning, take those core elements and see what expression of church you will get. 

What can you create with some combination of these elements:
  • Learning new things
  • Meal
  • Meeting people (old and new)
  • Giving of resources
  • Celebration
  • Sharing
  • Group participation
  • Music
  • Dance
  • Wine
Sounds like a recipe for Church to me.

The next Fort Worth Dish Out will be held on November 4th at 809 @ Vickery (809 W. Vickery Blvd., Fort Worth, 76104) from 5:30 to 8 p.m.